CHOICE OF SOFA. REMINDER TO THE BUYER OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE
How often do we stand in the middle of a furniture store, completely at a loss, listen to the seller’s magnetic twitter, helplessly touch the upholstery of an inconceivably expensive sofa or a panel of suspiciously cheap wall … An unsuccessful purchase of furniture is a serious mistake, the consequences of which can affect for many years (it will soon fall apart, stick out, it turns out that this is completely unfashionable, harmful to health, and indeed, it is a pity for the money!). To prevent this from happening, we offer the following ten “commandments” to buy a sofa:
1. If you are a private buyer, be sure to sit on the sofa model you like and try to lie down. If the sofa is folding (and most likely you will buy such a sofa, try to push it apart several times. You don’t have to stand on ceremony with the sofa mechanism because you will have to do this operation more than a thousand times!
2. If you are a wholesale buyer and come for furniture to a custom furniture factory, be sure to look at how furniture is made (or at least from what). If you refuse to devote to the production process, select other furniture manufacturers.
3. The frame of the sofa is made of well-dried lumber. (In some furniture factories, the rule is ignored so much that even the fabric and the foam covering the sofa frame get wet.) Individual elements of the chipboard are allowed, but they must be coated with protective paint so that formaldehyde resins harmful to human health are not released. An unsophisticated furniture frame will dry in your apartment, and the sofa, due to this, will creak.
4. Your sofa bed can be soft due to: foam rubber; spring block; polyurethane foam.
Definitely say that it is better for making a sofa, it is difficult. It depends on your feelings, how pleasant this or that furniture packing is for your body. But there are several patterns.
The softer the foam, the easier it will crumble. Sofa cushions stuffed with sintepon or foam rubber will quickly lose their shape. A sign of good taste is the use of a single piece of foam. Furniture companies that care about their prestige supply all sofa covers with a zipper so that the buyer can, firstly, find out what he will be sitting on, and secondly, change the sofa upholstery over time. In properly designed models, the sofa cushions are placed at a slight angle, slightly supporting the one sitting under the knees, preventing him from moving out. If it is a solid block of polyurethane foam (PUF), it will have a small edge.
5. The folding mechanism of the sofa is one of the most important elements in the sofa. It comes in three types: a book (the seat is half-extended and the back of the sofa reclines), a folding bed (a mechanism that unfolds in a berth and is located under the seat) and a retractable one. Most furniture factories have already abandoned books because almost no one is now producing quality mechanisms for them. It remains to choose between a cot and a sofa pull-out mechanism.
6. If you opted for a folding bed, find out what the “sleeping” support of the folding mechanism is made of. A support made of lat is considered to be the best (it is spring veneer plates best if there are about 12 of them), and it is advisable that the armor be placed across the berth itself. In second place, furniture makers hold a belt support and in third – a metal mesh.
7. Do not forget that all imported sofas are not designed to be used as beds. It is rather a sleeping place for a guest, and the owners have long chosen orthopedic mattresses for themselves.
8. If you prefer a pull-out mechanism for the sofa, check what the drawers are made of: you should see plywood, not hardboard or particleboard. The most vulnerable place for drawers is the roller mechanism. It’s unlikely that you’ll be lucky with the rollers if you buy a sofa in some unknown joint venture or “on hand”.
9. Upholstery. Flock (fabric with a pile coated with an electrostatic spray) is tired of everything, but it is easy to clean and not easily soiled. Large furniture factories never use our flocks and try to avoid dry sprayed flocks due to very strong electrostatics. Lately, furniture upholstery from tapestry, chinilles or jacquard – from woven materials has become very popular. The whole problem is that jacquard, for example, is only dry cleaned. Teflon-coated fabric can be considered ideal: water, tea, coffee just drain from the sofa upholstered with such a fabric, leaving no residue .. But the price! Price leaves traces …
10. Finally, a culture of furniture production. There are such trifles by which you can immediately see who made this sofa. Master or felt-tip pen. Self-respecting furniture factories upholstery the back with the same upholstery as before. And the same fabric is pulled between the bottom and pillows. You can see how neatly the seams are sealed on the sofa, how smoothly the row of staples attaches the upholstery.