How to choose office chairs and chairs.
Many of the requirements for office chairs coincide with the requirements for cabinet furniture. First of all, reliability in use, versatility of design, convenience, external solidity and attractiveness. However, if to select cabinet furniture it is enough to look at it and study the characteristics, then you should definitely sit on office chairs and try all the adjustments and functions. This is the main advice when choosing armchairs and chairs. The right choice of a working chair is the main factor in maintaining high performance and health for many years.
By analogy with cabinet furniture, we formulate the minimum set of requirements for a working chair:
– the presence of plastic armrests and a five-beam support with easily rotating wheels;
– the ability to change the height of the seat and the backrest with one hand and without getting up from the chair. All adjustments should be easy and pleasant – the only way you accustom yourself to adjust the chair to fit your figure, and not vice versa;
– the presence on the mechanism for adjusting the height of the shock absorber, mitigating a sharp change in the load on the spine when lowering the seat;
– ergonomic shape of the back (cushion under the lumbar deflection). This can be achieved both by the shape of the frame and by thickening the upholstery;
– a thick layer of foam rubber with increased elasticity with peripheral thickenings of the seat (to facilitate fixation of the vertical position) and a soft rounded front edge of the seat (to avoid systematic compression of blood vessels on the legs);
– safe upholstery material on the “working” surfaces of the seat and back (thick fabric, genuine leather, special “breathing” types of furniture fabric), which helps to avoid overheating and cooling in any weather and humidity. For the lower and rear surfaces, plastic or leatherette is acceptable.
More advanced and more expensive chairs can have more complex adjustment mechanisms:
– smooth change in back height and seat depth;
– armrests, adjustable in height and angle of rotation;
– synchromechanism “1: 3”, synchronously changing the angle of inclination of the seat and backrest in an ergonomic proportion (each degree of inclination of the seat is equal to 3 degrees of inclination of the back);
– mechanism “rocking chair” – rocking the chair with a coefficient of elasticity precisely matched to your weight;
– better materials can be used:
– built-in metal frame for five-beam supports,
– polyurethane, aluminum, wood or leather upholstery for armrests,
improved leather for the front and upper surfaces of the seat and back, genuine leather for the lower and rear surfaces.
A few practical recommendations (from the experience of our customers).
– Wheels that roll easily on a smooth floor and on a fleecy surface are a must for employees and managers.
– The need for armrests for employees’ chairs is determined by how much they have to work with the computer keyboard (support for elbows is needed) and how often they have to leave the workplace (you need to lean when standing up and down on the chair). It makes sense to buy chairs without armrests only if there is an extreme lack of space in the office.
– Managers who often hold meetings and meetings in their office need a rocking chair mode in the chair mechanism, and those who work a lot in a constant pose with a computer and papers need a 1: 3 ergonomic synchromechanism, which perfectly adjusts the chair for any figure and any type of work.
– Decentralization of the swing: the swing axis in the mechanism “rocking chair” should be moved forward from under the center of the chair (the farther the better), then when rocking in the chair the legs (knees) will not go up, and the swing process will look decent and solidly.
– Chairs and chairs for visitors should be with a low back, the smallest possible width, preferably on legs or on an elastic frame. Armchairs on a rotating support are applicable only to visitors who are already accustomed to office chairs (otherwise the visitor will constantly spin in front of you and interfere with the conversation).
– Armchairs for employees should support only shoulders and back (sleep at the workplace is a great temptation for middle and lower level staff), but for a head, the back of a chair can serve as a support for the head.